Friday, August 3, 2012

Shiitake mushrooms with soju and maple syrup?

I was shopping at the market yesterday and saw some beautiful shiitake mushrooms. I was making duck sandwiches for dinner, so I thought I could add some mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms (표고 in Korean) can be a little rubbery, but when cooked with this method, they turn out delicious.

Soju and Maple infused Shiitake Mushrooms


Ingredients:
1 package (500 grams) fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon soju
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

Procedure:
1) Thinly slice the mushrooms
2) Sautee them for about a minute in a bit of oil
3) Add the soju and maple syrup
Yum, yum, yum
The mushrooms soak up the liquid and taste deliciously sweet and juicy, without any sort of strong soju taste. It was such a random idea that worked out quite well. They are good as a side, but I used them to concoct quite a sandwich. I had some smoked duck, caramelized some onions with fresh ginger and maple syrup, and cooked up the mushrooms. I'm usually not that proud of my creations, but this sandwich, served with a spinach and tomato salad, was grand.


If I was living in a cheese loving nation, I think this would be great topped with some gouda. That would probably result in orgasm. As is, it still was quite enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment